FY 2017 RTOC Meeting Minutes

Most recent listed first: FY2017 is Oct. 2016 – Sept. 2017 *CC – Conference Call

April CC Minutes (draft)- link to full minutes

March In Person Minutes (draft)- link to full minutes

March 2017 CC Minutes (draft)- link to full minutes

February 2017 CC Minutes (approved)- link to full minutes

SUMMARY

RTOC/EPA updates and upcoming events

ACTION ITEMS

  1. Randi Madison
    1. Follow up on scheduling TLS and Operations Guidance committee meetings. Operations Guidance revision on hold until after TLS and TLS Planning Committee Meeting will be 11 AM Tuesday Feb. 21. (and every consecutive Tuesday at noon Pacific until the Summit)
    2. Send out website for review and promotional items to committee.

January 2017 CC Minutes (approved)- link to full minutes

SUMMARY

Final remarks from Dennis McLerran, R10 Regional Administrator and Jim Woods, Sr. Tribal Policy Advisor, Update on planning for the 2017 Tribal Environmental Leader’s Summit and the Alaska Forum on the Environment, Open comment period for CIRCLA financial responsibility requirements, Welcomed new NTOC members, Tom Robinson for Alaska Position 1 and Willie Frank for Western WA/Western OR, as well as Dean Adams as the new Oregon RTOC rep., Updates on EPA Transition with new Administration, Traditional Ecological Knowledge work group and the R10 Tribal Trust and Assistance Unit.

ACTION ITEMS

  1. Randi Madison
    1. Will make sure that travel logistics are on website for TLS. Getting to and from hotel from airport.
    2. Will create a draft TLS Award nomination form and instructions and send to TOC for review by Wednesday January 25, 2017.
    3. Send out the draft new website for review by the RTOC/EPA the week of Jan 23-27, official launch will be Jan 31, 2017.
  2. New NOTC/ROTC Members will send their choices for Alternates to Michelle Davis ASAP.
  3. Rick Eichstaedt will send out info on CIRCLA webinar.

December 2016 In-person Minutes (approved)- link to full minutes

SUMMARY

This was the last official meeting with Dennis McLerran, Region 10 Administrator, Jim Woods, Sr. Tribal Policy Advisor whose terms have ended, and Sally Thomas, Tribal Trust and Assistance Unit Manager.  Sally will stay on in a part time advisory capacity.

Day 1 TOC reports to Regional Administrator, EPA transition, Traditional Ecological Knowledge Workgroup, Announcement of newly elected NTOC reps, Alaska Forum on the Environment, Tribal Consortium Business: TELS Survey results.

Day 2 E-Enterprise Leadership Council (EELC), GSA Presentation, RTOC Communications and Outreach: Website Draft presentation, Environmental Impacts of Wasted Food and Prevention Strategies, Grants Topics, ANPRM for developing federal baseline WQS, TOC Tlingit/Haida Cultural Presentation

Day 3 Update on Tribal Leaders Summit planning, EPA’s Office of Land and Emergency Management Interim Approach for Considering Traditional Ecological Knowledge during the Cleanup Process, Update on R10 TEK Workgroup, Drinking Water Compliance Trends in Indian Country

ACTION ITEMS

  1. Randi Madison
    1. will reach out to newly elected TOC members to conduct welcome and orientation prior to Dec. 31, 2017
    2. will work with Shallee Baker to arrange the March RTOC meeting logistics
    3. will follow up with Billy Maines prior to Dec. 23 to get update on how to proceed with AFE planning
    4. will update new website in light of discussion and feedback and send to the RTOC/EPA for review in January. Deadline to launch new RTOC website will be in Feb at AFE
      1. will continue to update old website until launch
    5. will contact committee set up to review the Operations Guidance meeting 2x month, starting January 2017. Members are Lee Juan Tyler, Bobbi Anne Barnowski and all RTOC Staff
      1. Amendments to include travel policy and procedure. Committee will recommend changes at the March in person meeting and bring to TOC for adoption
      2. Add Website content and management section in Ops Guidance review
      3. Invite Michelle Davis to our Committee
  1. Rick Eichstaedt
    1. will send out notices regarding WQS consultation and call for comments coming up. He will reach out to individuals to analyze if RTOC will submit comments
    2. will draft a letter to the EPA POTUS Transition team and send to the RTOC by the end of Dec.
  2. Billy Maines
    1. will contact Kurt Eilo to see if it’s too late to withdraw our evening event at the Alaska Forum on the Environment this year. If not, this will be the last Daniel Ellanak award
    2. If committed: set up a committee to work on the Evening event agenda and submit the agenda to Kurt by Jan. 9, 2017
  3. TOC will submit our temporary choice for the EELC workgroup to headquarters by Dec. 19, we can revise the choice at a later time, and after newly elected NTOC members start
  4. Tribal Leader’s Summit Committee Bobbi Anne Barnowsky, Shallee Baker, Randi Madison, Rick Eichstaedt, Raymond Paddock, Elizabeth Sanchey
    1. Will meet on Thursday December 22, at noon AK time via conference call
    2. Will review the TELS budget to determine the cost for presenters and note takers, etc. Meet next week to finalize framework and launch the registration page
    3. Randi will inquire with digital storytelling facilitator to do stories on all RTOC members and on the RTOC and to present at the TELS
    4. Story board illustrators and facilitators for TELS
  5. EPA
    1. will schedule the next TEK workgroup meeting to outline objectives and key content for training and education for EPA staff for some time in January.
    2. will extend the nomination period for the Oregon Tribal Caucus nomination.

November 2016 CC Minutes (approved)- link to full minutes

SUMMARY

Tribal Leader’s Summit planning, Angela Chung update on Water Quality Standards activity, Ann Williamson update on transition with new administration

ACTION ITEMS

  1. Committee
    1. Review the online survey regarding the 2017 Tribal Environmental Leader’s Summitt by Monday COB, Pacific time. Send recommendations to Randi Madison via email.
  2. Ann Williamson will look into the process for RTOC to submit a statement to the President Elect on behalf of Region 10 Tribes.
  3. Randi Madison
    1. Add to December Agenda: Identify TOC participation in the EEnterprise Leadership Council (EELC) group. Specifically asking each regional TOC to put forward 1 tribal nominee, and forwarded on to the EELC by the Regional Administrator by December 19, 2016.
    2. send the estimated per diem out to attendees of Dec. meeting by Tuesday, November 22 and wants to complete airfare purchases by November 30 for Dec. meeting.
  4. JR Herbst
    1. send Randi Madison the request for nominations from the EELC so she can distribute to the RTOC.
    2. open the Oregon election period again, through Dec. 2, 2017. Rick Eichstaedt will follow up with Dean Adams to ensure his application for the Oregon RTOC position is submitted.

October 2016 CC Minutes (approved)- link to full minutes

SUMMARY

Welcome new Communications Specialist, Randi Madison and new Grant Administrator, Andy Dunau to the RTOC, RTOC/NTOC elections, Alaska Tribal Conference on Environmental Management, discussed Standing Rock, Alaska Forum on the Environment planning underway.

ACTION ITEMS

  1. TOC
    1. If there are any high level EPA requests from the RTOC for the TELS please put on Dec. Agenda so EPA can line up presenters.
    2. If the RTOC wants to address the GAP AK network during AFE, inform JR Herbst by Nov. 30.

Tribal Caucus Recommendations

  1. Re: Standing Rock Sioux Tribe v. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in which the Departments committed to formal, government-to-government consultations:
  • Elizabeth Sanchey, Eastern Washington RTOC: Fast tracking. Encourage someone from Region10 EPA to be at scheduled listening sessions to address issues that come up. Michelle P. and Jim W. are looking into it.
  • Elizabeth Sanchey, Eastern Washington RTOC: Encourages tribes to share their consultation policies, defining terms, what constitutes a consultation, and what can be called a consultation at the joint Dep’t. of Ecology (DOE), Army Corps of Engineers (ACE), and the Dep’t. of Justice (DOJ) consultations coming up this month.

           2.  Aaron Miles, Idaho RTOC Alternate: Please define acronyms when speaking on calls and in printed documents.

Links

  1. Region 10 10.20.16 Tribal Consortium Business Minutes
  2. Printable version of regular RTOC 10.20.16 Conference Call minutes